Thursday, March 29, 2012

database move

I recently moved a database and its transaction log file to another drive due
to space issues. I followed the kb article 224071 on how to move a user
database and it appears that it worked correctly.
However, now the database comes up as "read-only" and if I view the
properties of the db and try to remove the "read-only" designation, I get an
error that it can't.
Any thoughts?
Robert
Hi Robert
Check the SQL Server error log to see if there is any information on the
problem. You may also want to check that the readonly attribute is not set on
the mdf and ldf files.
John
"Robert Gandrud" wrote:

> I recently moved a database and its transaction log file to another drive due
> to space issues. I followed the kb article 224071 on how to move a user
> database and it appears that it worked correctly.
> However, now the database comes up as "read-only" and if I view the
> properties of the db and try to remove the "read-only" designation, I get an
> error that it can't.
> Any thoughts?
> Robert
|||In the move of this large db/log to another volume, the sql service account
that starts mssqlserver didn't have specific rights to the new location. I
gave it full control to the new db location and rebooted.
The error log then stated that it performed a full recovery on that db,
which it couldn't do before. I was then able to remove the Read-only
property in the db properties in Ent. Mgr.
Thanks for your help.
Also, for some reason, I have about a 30GB log file. I was under the
understanding that if I backup the transaction log, that it would commit the
transactions and severly reduce my log file size, but that didn't seem to
work.
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again,
Robert
"John Bell" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi Robert
> Check the SQL Server error log to see if there is any information on the
> problem. You may also want to check that the readonly attribute is not set on
> the mdf and ldf files.
> John
> "Robert Gandrud" wrote:
|||Hi
Check out
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...r_da2_1uzr.asp
on shrinking the transaction log.
John
"Robert Gandrud" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> In the move of this large db/log to another volume, the sql service account
> that starts mssqlserver didn't have specific rights to the new location. I
> gave it full control to the new db location and rebooted.
> The error log then stated that it performed a full recovery on that db,
> which it couldn't do before. I was then able to remove the Read-only
> property in the db properties in Ent. Mgr.
> Thanks for your help.
> Also, for some reason, I have about a 30GB log file. I was under the
> understanding that if I backup the transaction log, that it would commit the
> transactions and severly reduce my log file size, but that didn't seem to
> work.
> Any thoughts on that?
> Thanks again,
> Robert
> "John Bell" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment