Sunday, February 19, 2012

Database Mail (can't connect to SMTP server)

I'm new to Database Mail and SQL 2005. I have an existing SMTP server (not local) which I'm able to connect to and send mail using Outlook. When I try to connect to the same SMTP server in Database Mail, I get the following error in the Log:

Message
The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 3 (2006-09-20T17:04:21). Exception Message: Could not connect to mail server. (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine).
)

No matter what variation I try, I can't connect to the server. I also tried setting up a local SMTP server (the one that comes with IIS). I was able to send mail out successfully from Outlook using this local SMTP server too. However, I get the same error when trying the local server in Database Mail.

This is probably something stupid I'm missing. Any ideas?

I'm using SQL 2005 Developer Edition to test applications on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,

James

We are experiencing the same issue, same error message but on SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition- (Database Mail).

Thanks,

Carmen

|||

Same here ... i checked the error from

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2006-11-15T06:58:44). Exception Message: Could not connect to mail server. (No such host is known). )

But i know my Host is right .

Thanks

Praveen

|||

I had same problem using dbmail on my laptop, but I have figured out what was wrong. The anti-virus program is blocking any port 25 message out, so my dbmail cannot reach my mail server. I have another dbmail on a sql server in the same network segment as the mail server is can send mail without problem. Check with your network admin to see if anything is blocking port 25 message (anti-virus, firewall etc.). By the way, Outlook uses MAPI API to talk to Exchange Server.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment